Monday, December 1, 2008

Foundations

One of the really important parts of clothing, especially for women, is the foundation. Meaning (men, close your ears) bras. The way your ladies are being held up can make or break an outfit. It can also make you look heavier or thinner, depending on how well your foundations are or aren't working for you.

I'd been meaning to get new bras for a while but hated the idea of dropping all that money. I'm rather *ahem* blessed in that arena so I can't just walk into Kohl's and pick something up off the rack. Instead, it's a process for me that involves women I've never met before, loads of styles, a measuring tape, and lots of tugging and pulling.

One of the main reasons I tend to avoid bra shopping, and I'm sure other women feel the same, is that it seems so overwhelming. How do I know what to get? Which size/style/brand is going to be best for me?! All that putting on and taking off gets really really really old, not to mention when none of the 5,736 bras you took to the dressing room with you works, then you have to get dressed and head back out to start over.

Which is why I love Nordstrom. They have the best lingerie department ever. I will gladly drop a bit more coin for the wonderful experiences I have there. First, they go into the dressing room with you and measure you to see what size you need. Then, they get a couple of "sizing bras" - middle of the road garments that allow them to better know what type of bra you need. Because, you see, one brand or cut does not fit all. Each style is made slightly differently, and they are looking for specific cues that a bra fits you well. Once they've determined which brands/styles/cuts work best for you, they start bringing bras by the truckload.

It's fantastic. After about 30 minutes, I walked out with two new bras and a brand new outlook. I felt good again. So ladies, get out there and get yourself measured and fit for a brand new bra.

No comments: